FELLOWSHIP IN OVERSEAS/ INLAND TRAINING OF TEACHERS:
- Dr. Purnima Barua, Invited as Guest Speaker in MESICON 2020 on large group teaching (Theme: Innovation in Medical Education and Paradigm Shift) organized by Bankura Sammilani Medical, College, Bankura, West Bengal on 14th and 15th February 2020.
- Dr. Purnima Barua, Invited as Guest Speaker in APICON 2019 on Making the most of Competency Based Education organized by Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati on 28th- 30th November 2019
- Dr. Purnima Barua and Dr. Angshurekha Das : International certificate on Principles of Bioethics and Human Right of the UNESCO Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights by UNESCO chair in Bioethics (HAIFA) on 17/09/2020
- Dr. Binita Bhuyan: 4th National workshop on Hospital Infection Control from 29th January to 1st February, 2020 organized by JIPMER, Pondicherry
- Dr. Binita Bhuyan: Workshop on “Making the most of Competency Based Education in APPICON 2019”
- Dr Nayan jyoti Sharma, Dr. Binita Bhuyan and Dr. Bipanchi Mahanta attended the Training of Trainers on Collaborative Research on 06/12/2019 in Guwahati,
- Dr. Atanu Chakravarty, Asso. Prof, and Dr. Binita Bhuyan, Demonstrator were temporarily posted / attached at GMCH, Guwahati for the month of July 2020 for performing COVID-19 duties at VRDL hilltop laboratory.
- Dr. Dweep Jyoti Baishya, Assistant Professor was temporarily attached to GMCH, Guwahati for the month of July and August 2020 for performing COVID-19 duties at VRDL Hilltop laboratory.
- Department of Microbiology was actively involved in planning and designing the COVID unit of the Hospital besides looking after the sample collection in the hospital as well the district.
- TRAINING: (COVID – 19)- Trainers: Atanu Chakravarty(Master Trainer), Dr. Angshurekha Das(Master Trainer), Dr. Dweep Jyoti Baishya, Dr. Bandana Thakuria, Dr. Geetumoni Sonowal, Dr. Binita Bhuyan, Dr. Bipanchi Mahanta. All the trainers trained health care staff across five districts about Infection Prevention and Control(IPC) related measures.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- THE DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY,JMCH has achieved 100% marks in External Quality Control of various tests in Bacteriology and Serology as of July,2021
- RT-PCR testing for COVID – 19 in VRDL, JMCH was started on 17/03/2020.
- An additional Molecular Biology Laboratory was established in the Department, as an extended wing of VRDL, for COVID19 testing under the aegis of Govt. of Assam in July 2020 and got operational on 27/07/2020 and functioning 24 x 7 for COVID – 19 testing.
- Total RT-PCR tests done for COVID19 till 10.07.2021, is 238633, which includes samples from various districts of the state viz. the districts Jorhat, Golaghat Nagaon, Karbi Anglong, Majuli, Sivasagar, Tinsukia, Dhubri, Bongaigaon, Kamrup(M), Kamrup(R ), Kokrajhar, Hojai and also from the neighbouring state of Nagaland. Out of the total tests done 10,218 were detected as Positive for COVID – 19.
- Pirbox Rafiqul Hussain was awarded Dr Nitin Barua Memorial Award for securing highest marks in M D Microbiology examination, May 2019 under SSUHS.
- Bhargab Pratim Borah, UG student was awarded Dr Nitin Barua Memorial Running Trophy for securing highest marks in Microbiology in 2nd Professional MBBS amongst JMC students for that year in October, 2019.
- Department of Microbiology is preparing for NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) accreditation of the Laboratory. Documental procedures have already been completed.
- Hospital Infection Surveillance: A New Hospital Infection Control Committee (HICC) and Infection Control Team (ICT) were formed on 12/05/2020 which includes the following members from Department of Microbiology, JMC. Dr. Purnima Barua, Chairperson, Prof(Dr). Uttara Borkotoki, Co – Chairperson, Dr. Atanu Chakravarty, Secretary , Dr. Angshurekha Das, Faculty Member, Dr. Dweep Jyoti Baishya, Faculty Member, Dr. Binita Bhuyan, Infection Control Officer. Presently the HICC is looking after all infection prevention measures to be followed and training related activities for COVID – 19.
LIST OF IMPORTANT MACHINERY :
i. PCR Plate Centrifuge
ii. Real Time PCR Machine
iii. PCR Hood
iv. Laminar Airflow (Vertical)
v. -200C Deep Freezer
vi. Refrigerated Microcentrifuge
vii. Biosafety cabinet
ix. Ice Flaker Machine
xi. Automated RNA Extractor
xii. Reagent Refrigerator
xiii. Binocular Microscope
xiv. ELISA Reader
xv. ELISA Washer
xvi. Automated Microbial Growth System
xvii. Water Bath