TOPICS OF THEORY CLASSES FOR OBSTETRIC & GYNAECOLOGY
JORHAT MEDICAL COLLEGE
From January to June: 4th,Semester, 6th Semester & 8th Semester
From July to December: 5th, Semester 7th Semester & 9th Semester
- Anatomy of female reproductive tract, relationship to other pelvic organs, applied anatomy related to O&G Surgery.
- Physiology of menstruation, Ovulation.
- Diagnosis of ovulation
- Fertilization and implantation of ovum
- Development, anatomy. Functions of placenta, placental barrier,
- Abnormalities of placenta & clinical significance.
- Liqour amni and umbilical cord.
- Basic embryology , factors influencing fetal growth and development.
- Diagnosis of pregnancy, clinical features, deferential diagnosis, principle underlying the pregnancy test, immunological test for pregnancy
- Maternal change in pregnancy genital tract, CVS, hematology urinary system.
- Antenatal care, objective, assessment of period of gestation, detection of abnormalities with the help of gravidogram, clinical monitoring of maternal & fetal well being, biophysical monitoring, advice on nutrition, tetanus immunization, basic investigations.
- Female pelvis, fetal skull and contracted pelvis, pelvic assessment.
- Normal labour : Physiology and mechanism of labour, clinical course of labour, management of labour with partogram, labour analgesia.
- Active management of 3rd stage of labour (AMTSL)
- Forceps & Ventouse, episiotomy.
- Occiputo posterior position.
- Breech presentation
- Transverse lie
- Face presentation
- Brow and compound presentation.
- Cord prolapsed
- Multiple pregnancy : Causes, Clinical features, diagnosis, complications and management.
- Complication of 3rd stage of labour, their management and prevention.
- Manual removal of placenta
- Bimanual compression and Aortic compression.
- Puerperium : Physiology, management and complications. (including PPH, Puerperal pyrexia, puerperal genital hematoma).
- Immediate post partum care, Care of the newborn.
- Breast feeding : counseling, physiology, benefits of breastfeeding and disadvantages of artificial feeding.
- Position and attachment, problems related to breastfeeding and their management.
- Bleeding in early pregnancy. Abortion : definition , types, causes, management and complications.
- Ectopic pregnancy : causes, clinical features, differential diagnosis, management.
- Trophoblastic disease : diagnosis, management, complications, follow-up.
- Hyperemesis gravidarum : causes, impact on fetal and maternal health, management.
- Cervical incompetence, Recurrent pregnancy loss. (RPL)
- APH : classification, aetiopathology, clinical features, differential diagnosis, complications and management
- ICU in Obstetrics.
- Vaginal discharge : Physiological & pathological Vaginal discharge : etiology, characteristic, management
- Genital tract infection including STD, AIDS, Genital TB : Clinical features, differential diagnosis, principles of basic investigations, medical & surgical treatment, PID
- Anatomy of female pelvic floor and supports of uterus.
- Displacement of uterus : Genital Prolapse : etiology, clinical features, differential diagnosis, principles of management , preventive aspects.
- Retroversion and chronic inversion of uterus, Hypertrophic elongation of cervix.
- Preoperative preparation
- Postoperative care and detection of complications.
- Population dynamics and Health education.
- Contraception various methods, selection of patients, counseling, side effect, failure and complications.
- Emergency contraception, postpartum contraception.
- Sterilization procedures
- MTP legal aspect, indications, methods in 1st trimester and 2nd trimester complications and management.
- Infection prevention practices.
- Ovarian tumor; classification, diagnosis, management, complications of benign ovarian tumors.
- Ovarian malignancy : diagnosis and management, patients at risk of ovarian malignancy, screening and early detection of ovarian cancer
- Uterine fibroid : Clinical features, differential diagnosis, management.
- Uterine Polyp : Diagnosis and treatment.
- Abnormal & excessive menstrual bleeding: classification, causes diagnosis & management.
- Adolescent gynaecological problem.
- Anaemia in pregnancy
- Heart disease in pregnancy.
- Diabetes mellitus in pregnancy and GDM
- HIV in pregnancy
- Drugs in Pregnancy/ Use and abuse of drugs in pregnancy.
- Immunological disorder like SLE in pregnancy, APLS.
- Thyroid disorder in pregnancy.
- Jaunidice in pregnancy IHCP
- UTI in pregnancy
- Malaria in pregnancy
- Rh and ABO incompatibility
- Fetal distress: Etiopathology, diagnosis, prevention, management.
- Maternal & perinatal mortality
- Social obstetrics.
- Hypertensive disorders on pregnancy.
- Shock in obstetrics
- High risk pregnancy - Concept of high risk pregnancy unit.
- Stem cell collection & user.
- Disease of cervix : erosion, cervicitis, CIN diagnosis and management.
- Early detection of cervical carcinoma : patients at risk , pap smear, colposcopy, cervical biopsy.
- Cervical carcinoma : clinical c features, investigation and treatment.
- Vulva : Bartholin cyst & abscess, vulval dystrophy vulval carcinoma.
- Cervical Cautery.
- Incontinence of Urine, urinary retention
- VVF, Causes, diagnosis, investigation and prevention
- Menopause : Physiology, problems and management
- Post menopausal vaginal bleeding : Causes and investigation
- Endometrial carcinoma : diagnosis and management.
- Laparoscopy : Indications, complications
- Hysteroscopy : Indications and Complication
- Caesarean section : indication steps and complications.
- Post caesareans pregnancy
- Intrauterine fetal death : Causes, diagnosis, investigations, complications and management.
- Obstructed labour: causes, diagnosis, management
- Rupture uterus : Causes, clinical features and management.
- Destructive operations : Principles of destructive operation,, different procedures and complications.
- Perineal tear, Cervical tear
- Preturm labour: Causes, diagnosis, problems, management, prevention
- Postdated & Post mature pregnancy : Causes, problems, diagnosis & management
- Uterine disfunction in labour: classification, recognition of uterine dysfunction.
- Prolonged labour, Precipitate labour.
- Oxytocics in obstetrics.
- Induction & acceleration of labour
- PROM : diagnosis and management
- Teenage pregnancy elderly primi, grandmulti
- Fetal anomaly
- USG & MRI in obstetrics
- Pregnancy in obesity
- Developmental anomalies of genital tract.
- Amenorrhoea : primary & secondary, causes, basic investigation. Management. PCOD
- Infertility : Male & Female factors. Basic investigation of infertile couple
- Principles of IUI, IVF, ICSI.
- Dysmenorrhoea : types, causes, investigations , treatments.
- Endometriosis : Etiopathology, clinical features, investigation, treatments
- D&C ; Indications, procedure, complication.
- Aspiration cytology
PLAN OF THEORY & PRACTICAL TEACHING OF OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY FOR MBBS STUDENTS
9th Semester Wednesday 8 - 9 AM
8th Semester Thursday 12 – 1 PM
Friday 8 – 9 AM
7th Semester Tuesday 12 – 1 PM
6th semester Wednesday 8 – 9 AM
5th Semester Tuesday 8 – 9 AM
4th Semester Wednesday 11-12 AM
3rd Semester 1 month OPD posting (Family planning /History)
4th Semester 1 month ward posting
5th Semester 1 month ward posting
7th Semester 1 month Labour Room Posting
8th Semester 1 month Ward posting with OT exposure
9th Semester 1 month Ward posting with OT exposure
Tutorial (Practical Demonstration)
7th Semester Friday 12 - 1 PM
8th Semester Thursday 12 – 1 PM
9th Semester Monday 2 – 4 PM
Friday 2 – 4 PM
4th Semester Tuesday 12 – 1 PM
5th semester Thursday 12 – 1 PM
6th Semester Monday 12 – 1 PM
8th semester Thursday 12 – 1 PM
Saturday 12 – 1 PM
9th Semester Monday 12 – 1 PM
Friday 12 - 1 PM
Labour Room Posting
7th semester From 5 PM to next morning 6 AM in rotation basis in two shift.
Marks planning for Final MBBS 3rd Professional Part II Exam’s Obstetrics & Gynaecology
|Total Marks Allotted||Pass Marks|
Paper I Half I
Paper II Half I
|# Internal Assessment||
|Grand Total||200||100 *|
# Internal Assessment is calculated from the following components-
- Theory marks of all semester ending examination.
- Practical marks of all semester ending examination.
- Labour room completion examination.
- Ward completion examination.
- Theory completion examination.
- * To be passed separately.
- ** Should get minimum 20 for appearing final MBBS.
N.B- 1. Minimum attendance required to appear in Final MBBS is 75%.
2. To appear in O&G,Labour Case record book submission is must.